Image Map

Superfluous Superlatives

I'm not sure if this is something I have to find myself reasoning with, or something I'm passionate about, probably both. But, anyone that knows me, knows that I am probably the world’s biggest abuser of superlatives. Honestly, I use them to describe EVERYTHING.
When I’m telling someone about Gig Harbor, it is the most amazing place to live. Truly, it’s my favorite. When I’m telling someone about, Charlottesville is the most amazing place to live. Seriously, nowhere beats it. But of course, Italy is actually the best place on earth, unless I am in Rwanda, Whistler, the Outer Banks of North Carolina…get my point?
There are probably twenty artists that I would describe as my favorite artist. A small handful of people that I would refer to as my best friend. And if you mention any kind of food that starts with a letter A-Z, yep “It’s my BIGGEST weakness,” [especially sweet potato fries…and dark chocolate…and mango sorbet!]
Friends have called me out on this many times, because after awhile they start to question whether I really do think things are the best, worst, coolest, funniest, lamest, nicest, meanest, craziest, most absurd, etc…or whether I just say that everything is the best, worst, coolest, funniest, etc.
People, I’m fessing up!! It’s true, I do do it. I can’t stop speaking in superlatives I’m the girl who cried “BEST”!
Unlike me, God uses superlatives purposefully…not superfluously.
So, unlike with me, when the Bible uses superlatives, they are usually proclaiming truths worthy of these kinds of “ultimate” adjectives. Some of the most powerful statements in the Bible make use of them. I just want to share some that I find particularly potent:
  • “But who is able to build a temple for Him, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain him?” 2 Chronicles 2:6
  • (This one will really get you): “You must present as the LORD's portion the best and holiest part of everything given to you.” (Yep, He said it) Numbers 18:29
  • “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name." Philippians 2:9
  • "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!" Matthew 21:9
  • If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.” Psalm 139: 7-10
  • (When the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest) (really?): "Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest." Luke 9:48
  • “So the last will be first, and the first will be last” Matthew 20:16
  • “My grace is sufficient for you. My power works best in weakness.” (Humbling huh?) 2 Corinthians 12:9
  • "Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all you heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22:37-38
  • “You created my inmost being” Psalm 139:13
  • “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” Revelation 22:13
  • "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." I Corinthians 13:13

These are just a few, but they kinda get the point across.
So from now on, I'm going to try my very best to take superlatives more seriously. Mostly because, well, God does.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to be following your blog! Also, we are moving to Ft. Bragg in November, so we'll have to have lunch or something, I'll only be an hour away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my favorite unmatched daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I like this post, Elise. And I had no idea you'd realized this, and are so willing to poke fun and then give a new perspective on superlatives. love the post. love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP