Image Map

An Elegant Spirit





There are few people who made such a significant impact on history that we all take a day off to remember their death. We just celebrated MLK day on Monday. And rightly so.

But there is someone else who I like to remember--even if I don't get a day off of school and the banks/post offices don't close. She has been a beautiful picture to me of what it means to be an elegant spirit. If I admitted to having idols I would call her that. But I'd rather just call her my favorite person to emulate. And she died on January 20, 1993. Happy Audrey Day folks!

I gained a fascination for Audrey Hepburn as a young girl and have been captivated by her ever since. She wasn't perfect. But she knew how to love others, how to be poised, how to have fun, how to try new things that she wasn't sure about, how to take risks, how to make other people feel important, how to be humble, and how to be LOVELY, inside and out.

She made the little black dress what it is. (The original LBD was designed for her)

She wore pearls.
She loved family.
She looked THIS cute pushing her son around, barefoot.


She loved smiling and laughing.

After her acting career ended she worked with UNICEF for many years, reflecting her enormous heart for children.

She didn't have the most cookie cutter life either. She was born in Brussels but then moved to the Netherlands where she lived through German occupation during WWII. She was abandoned by her father who was a Nazi advocate. She lived through two difficult marriages with a less-than-faithful husbands. She lost many children before finally giving birth to her two sons, Sean and Luca.

I admit it. I try to be like her. I try to dress like her, carry myself like her, smile like her (impossible), treat people like she did. My house is decorated with her. And my bookshelf is full of books about her (I've got it bad).
So for the sake of not over do-ing it, but in case I sparked an interest, I will leave you with a few things:

-If you are only going to see one Audrey film see: Sabrina (and also My Fair Lady)
-If you are going to read about Audrey read: An Elegant Spirit written by her son Sean (And also 5th Ave, 5 AM)
-If you want a glimpse into her spirit read this quote:
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you'll never walk alone.


I hope that this post inspired you a little.

And again I say, Happy Audrey Day.
Glam. Pure Glam.


There are not words for this preciousness.



2 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP