Image Map

Beautiful Things




This morning I am listening to my Jon Foreman Pandora station and this song came on:


It made me, (sigh), so humbled. In October I wrote about the way that God reveals himself so clearly in the Fall. Then I later wrote about how ready I was for Spring to arrive. And lately, I've been mesmerized by the slow but sure arrival of Spring and the new life that it brings. This weekend my dear friend Lauren came to visit and in attempt to take full advantage of the beautiful 70-80 degree weather, we spent a lot of time walking; Walking through the Duke forests, around campus, and through the famous Duke Gardens. The whole time, I just kept thinking how lovely the Spring is.


Lauren took these lovlies.



Then this morning I heard this song. And I was sitting here in the library at my favorite table, by my favorite window that has a beautiful tree right outside of it. I sit here often and so I know this tree well now. And it always tells me what season it is. As I watched it the Gungor lyrics started reminding me that God makes beautiful things. Which I know is true:

He created the earth.
And people.
And puppies.
And this tree.

But then, I started realizing that what the song is really emphasizing, is that God makes beautiful things out of not-so-beautiful things.

I.e. me.

And I just started praying the familiar Psalm that David did when he prayed that God would "Create in me a clean heart. And renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10)

This song and this Psalm tell the story of this tree so well. It is not always lovely. And after the Fall, it kinda looks dead for awhile. And ugly. But then, God always makes it new, each Spring. And He restores its greenness, its flowers, its life. I love that.

And Aren't we all a little like that?

In constant need of God who will take us as we are, love us, and restore a right and steadfast spirit in us. And make us new.

"All around hope is springing up from this old ground.
Out of chaos life is being found in You.
You make beautiful things. You make beautiful things out of dust.
You make beautiful things. You make beautiful things out of us.
And You make me new, You are making me new."

2 comments:

  1. Elise, thank you for sharing this song and your revelation about God's faithfulness to restore us. Love your sweet soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the Duke gardens sure look pretty. I love NC this time of the year. Thanks for sharing the song. Love you darling daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP