Image Map

Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum

One of the most stressful questions someone can ask me is:


"What's your favorite_______?"

It almost doesn't matter what is in this blank--Food, song, country, season, color, movie, artist, book...Can you seriously expect me to choose just one? Not likely. I'll just get stressy and change the topic.

But, I think I've made a big discovery lately. I think I have a favorite Christmas song.

Bold, I know.

But there seems to be one song that I go back to time and time again. I think the thing I love about it is the way it paints such a profound image of being with Jesus the night of his birth.

Last night, we were at The Drew and Ellie Holcomb with Jars of Clay concert (if you don't know who these people are by now, click here or here to read previous blogs on their brilliantness. Jars of Clay finished with the most incredible version of this song I've ever heard.

Oh, yeah, the song...it's Little Drummer Boy


Reasons why I'm obsessed with this song:

(Besides the fact that pa rum pum pum pum is the most ridiculously fun lyric to sing.)

1. It reminds me of how humble Christ's birth was.
2. Yet, it is beautiful, because even though the little drummer boy knows how humble of a setting Christ is being born into, he is the one who is humbled to be there.
3. Like us, the little drummer realizes that he has nothing to bring that could be good enough for God.
4. But, he also realizes that he can bring the small talent he has and worship the little baby King with that.

He says in the song: "Little baby, I am a poor boy too. I have no gift to bring that's fit to give the King. Shall I play for you? On my drum." Then you can just picture the little family's response to him in the next verse when he says, "Mary nodded, the ox and lamb kept time. I played my drum for him. I played my best for him.

Then,

He smiled at me.
Me and my drum."

How can you not melt when you think of the little baby Jesus. Beaming with love. Flashing a little infant smile at this poor little boy who is playing his drum for him because it's all he has. And to Jesus, that is a gift that is not only fit for a king, but fit for the King of Kings.

And he feels the same about us, my friends.

Jesus smiles at us when we bring before him the little we have, realizing that though our gifts are humble in comparison to His gifts to us, it's our hearts that he sees. And our hearts that he cares about.

He is glorified and gratified when we play our best for him.

Thank you Little Drummer Boy for inspiring me each Christmas, reminding me of Christ's gentle love, and for giving me a favorite Christmas song.



Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP