Image Map

Minutes

My word, doesn't this life continually challenge us? Everyday there is something; constantly stretching us and forcing us to continue to grow as individuals. Almost every week my church teaches something that challenges me. Like really shake-up-the-foundation-of-who-I-am kind of challenge. And after being rattled for a day or two, I usually forget, until the next thing arises.


Well, it's Tuesday, church was Saturday, and I'm still chewing on this one. Or is it chewing on me...I'm not sure but regardless, something's being chewed to pieces by this. This week, one of our pastors mentioned the concept of minutes.


He said something like: "The way you spend your minutes, is how you'll spend your hours, and it's ultimately how you'll spend your days, years, and lives." Well gosh, when you put it that way...It made me start wondering if the way I choose to spend my minutes really aligns with what I claim to value in my life.  


Some things I claim to value: Working as if I'm working for Christ. Being grateful, acknowledging that everything I have is a gift. Loving others the way Christ loved me. Living a missional life. Serving the most needy. Investing in relationships. Investing in my relationship with my heavenly Father. Being fit and healthy. Showing random kindness for others. Respecting and loving my husband and investing in my marriage.


Um, but how often do I choose to spend my minutes doing things that do not reflect these values at all? And how can I expect the big picture of my life to look any different than the million little pictures that make it up? 


How can I expect the big picture of my life to be surrendered to Christ, when in the minutes I often choose my computer over my Bible? 


How can I expect the big picture of my life to be missional, when usually I prefer just to spend time with Adam rather than be out investing in others? 


How can I expect the big picture of my life to be respecting and loving my husband with grace, when I just want to get the last word in and ensure that he knows what he did wrong? 


How can I expect the big picture of my life to be working as if I'm working for Christ, when I let my work stress me out--usually because I am searching for the approval and respect of humans.


How can I expect the big picture of my life to be gratefulness and contentment, when I allow discontentment and envy to determine my attitudes so often?


These are what my minutes often look like. And so basically, this is what my life often looks like. Maybe it doesn't look very much at all like the things I claim to value. Maybe it doesn't look very much at all like what I think it looks like. Maybe this is where God's grace and mercy come into play in my life, big time.


What do your minutes look like? Do they represent what you want your life to look like? It's just a thought for you to chew on. Or maybe it will chew on you. Or something. 







1 comment:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP