Image Map

Book Worminess



School is back in full swing now.

This has many implications but one of them that I like least is this: No. More. Pleasure. Reading.

(And probably much less blogging.)

As I sit here in self-pity over my lack of time to read a book a week, I'm remembering all of the good books I did get to read this summer. This is what gets me through. Here are a few of them:


HEAVEN IS FOR REAL: This was the first book I read in Nepal and it was also the first book I've ever read on an Ipad. Or any type of digital reader for that matter. I heard a lot of hoopla about it so I decided to read. I was a little unsure of how to react to it. Have any of y'all read it? What did you think? If nothing else, it was a sweet story.




THE SHACK: This was the second book that I read in Nepal. I remember a lot of people reading it a few years ago and wanting to talk to me about it. I never got around to reading it then. But one of the girls had a copy so I read it. Without commenting too much on the ways in which I agree and disagree with it theologically, it did give me a new appreciation and gratefulness for the intimacy that we can have in relationship with God. He is personal. He is our father, our Counselor, our Comforter, our Provider, our Friend. And He is very present. All the time. Even in our pain. These were all things that I needed to be reminded of while I was in Nepal. I loved reading this book.




THE DISAPPEARED: One of my teammates brought this book to Nepal and so after exhausting many of my other reading options there, I decided to give it a try. It wasn't my favorite of the summer, but it is pretty moving (once you got past all the mushy romance). It takes place during the Cambodian genocide under the reign of the Khmer Rouge.



THE HISTORY OF LOVE: This book was one of my top two favorite reads this summer. It's artistic, poetic, creative, ah, just beautifully written. As soon as I finished I wanted to turn to page one and begin again. I hope they make a movie very soon.



THE KITE RUNNER: So sad, but OH-so good. Everyone should read this book. Period. Ok, next...





SAY YOU'RE ONE OF THEM: This was the first of two books this summer that I didn't finish. It was very good but so sad. Which I usually don't back down from. But it just wasn't quite the thing to read while working day-in day-out with refugees. I'll definitely try again. Maybe on the beach next time?





THE ROOM: This is the second book I didn't finish. It intrigued me but I put it down when my dear friend Emily loaned me her copy of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (see below). I bought this one in the airport, meaning it was over priced, meaning I'll be sure to finish it just to justify the money spent...


EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE: Definitely one of my favorite reads of the summer and of my life! It is about a young boy whose father died on September 11th. It is written by Jonathan Safran Foer, the same guy who wrote "Everything is Illuminated" and "Eating Animals." Oh my word, I don't know how to tell you this but,

JUST READ IT!

So there is an insight into some of the things I read this summer.

What have y'all read lately?

(Not that it will do me much good right now.)

But hey! I do leave for a honeymoon in 50-some-odd days.
I guess reading on the patio of our Italian villa doesn't sound all bad.

So please, let me know what is honeymoon suitcase worthy!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP