Image Map

Things that Stick




As I was brushing my teeth this morning I used a pea size amount of toothpaste. A small pea at that. I always use a small pea size amount of toothpaste, even though I feel like most people use much more. But the reason I do this is because back in high school one of my dearest friends told me that, contrary to what most people think, you only need to use a small pea size amount of toothpaste to get the job done. And that anymore is a waste.

(Isn't this post fascinating already??)


As I recalled my reasoning behind this aspect of an otherwise uninteresting routine, I realized that there are a lot of things I do or think because someone told me them at some point and, for whatever reason, they stuck. For example:

-You only need to use half of a laundry dryer sheet. (UVA housemate and friend, second year)

-Always have good posture--shoulders back, back straight. Man or woman, this will make you look more confident and less lazy. (Mom)

-Never open the oven while something is baking. If you need to look at it, use the light. (Mom?)

-Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds or you may as well not wash them. It takes that long to kill the bacteria. (Lots of people. I'm in the field of public health...)

-Wear your retainer every night, even until you are an adult. Or else your teeth will go crooked again. (My orthodontist. And I still do. And when I'm with my friend Emily, we have retainer parties, because she still does too.)

-When you see shoes on a telephone wire it means someone is selling drugs. (Probably my brother...)

-Don't wear shorts unless it is at least 65 degrees out. (My nanny Lynne. I hated this rule. But now I still use it.)

-If you crack your knuckles, your wedding ring won't fit. (GrandBetty, when I was about 6. And I've never cracked them.)

-The camera always adds ten pounds. (?)

-I know you said you didn't mean to. Next time, MEAN not to. (Dad)

-If you act shy people might think you are stuck up. So even if you feel shy, try to act confident and friendly. (Mom, when I was young and so misunderstood. I still catch myself on this one.)

-Always have a chocolate in your pocket, or purse. Or both. (Gail)

-Don't waste calories on beverages. They aren't even filling. Use them on something really delicious. (Like ice cream?) (Mom)

-When you shave your legs be especially careful on your knees and ankles. (Sister)

-Weddings don't impress me. Anniversaries impress me. (Pastor Mike)

-If you keep a spoon in the freezer you can put it on your eyes in the morning to make them less puffy. (Coco)

-Never clinch your fists when you are running. (Dad)

-Things in life aren't perfect, because the point of it is for God to make us Holier. (Sister)

-Always make sure you take a snack on an airplane. (Laura Lee)

-Fries go straight to your thighs. As does cheese. (My old gymnastics coach. But let's be real, I don't care.)



-Don't even let it bother you when people dislike you or are unkind to you. Because if they think mean things about you, they clearly don't know you. And if they don't know you, then who cares what they think? And anyways, I love you. So care about that instead. (Mom, last week)



What facts/advice from people in your life has stuck with you over the years? Share it! Because you know i'll probably start doing it too.



5 comments:

  1. I am happy to see that some things have stuck. Here is one for you: always make sure your man feels like a king. That way you are sure to be treated as a queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Mammabj has the best advice!
    One more thing, don't sweat the small stuff...in a hundred years will all be dead. ...AND to add to that, we'll be in heaven (with chocolate) - Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone!
    Hope you have a wonderful time this Saturday! - Peyton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elise - love this list!

    Pretty is as pretty does. (Mom)

    Wearing horizontal stripes makes you look wider than you are. (Thanks Mom - to this day, I can't bring myself to rock the French/nautical stripes shirt look.)

    If your guest has to ask for anything, you're not being a very good host. (Mom...by example)

    Biting your nails gives you worms. (Dad...but I still bite.)

    Etiquette is the art of making others feel comfortable. (?)

    Congrats on your engagement - the photos were beautiful!

    -Anne Larimer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP